No announcement yet.

{The List-} Civilizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Barbarian 'civs' entering the industrial age should be given status as a regular civilization.

Comment

Well, I'll add your list to the section, wernazuma, however, just as an editorial comment- I might as well add that Firaxis really shouldn't add a civ unless it could put up at least 2 Kings/Queens/Rulers for each of the nation (2 rulers that are VERY GREAT) and well known

You know, like Stefan I of the Serbs... etc.

And possibly each civ should only be allowed in if it couldhave some unique trait or attribute that no other civ on the face of the planet possesses.

...I'm just stating that as a small comment. Perhaps all the civs you listed do qualify under those characteristics- but can we really expect Firaxis to make the civs good enough for retail if they don't have both of the aspects that I listed above?

-
      I'm all for the same# of civs in civ II... but I would also like to see a civilization editor where I can add my own civs- I would appreciate that more than 100 pre-generated civs
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
        Do we need a Number of Civs poll? I wouldn't be surprised if fewer civs wins, and I'll still enjoy the game, it won't bother me much. I get enough fun with C3C. Sky, how many nonplayable Minor Tribes do you think there should be?

If it's plausible, I want there to me no set number of slots for civs, and the original game can start with 60 and add more in expansions. Will expansions and new civs be as closely linked as in Civ 3? Would new civs in scenarios be as big a thing? I liked Civ 2 scenarios, where new civs weren't such a big thing.
        There isn't a set number of slots for civs in C3 either

The only limit is that you can't have more than 31 civs in a game, which is for speed reasons.

Comment

Well W's list about convinces me my desire for 200 was misguided, for main civs at least. Maybe civs without uniqueness can be predesigned in the editor and available for editing in, uniqueness added or no. Seeing the separate Scandinavians listed looks wrong. Maybe it would look better to have them listed as Norsemen, Jutes, Danes and Swedes. I don't think the Polynesians should be in unless they are well adapted to islands and a real world map has the pacific islands larger and/ or more plentiful than in real life. Maybe a setup option for random maps should be whether to place civs in their home terrain alongside whether to place them near their kin. I look forward to seeing any corrections W makes.

Does anyone have any political correctness problems with a hierarchy of different levels of civs? Like Germans getting three rulers to choose from and Lithuanians only getting one? I want some different rulers available to represent some different governments.

One reason for including more than one civ with the same Traits may be to see what happens with more than one of them in one game. I want a lot of civs available so it will be more likely to have ones that more people want.

Panzeh's idea has some merit. I disagree with DC about rulers. Maybe every civ can have a special ability for all its units, and maybe that would be all the difference for some or all civs. Being able to add civs in the editor is more important to me than pregenerated civs, but pregenerated civs are important to me too.

Some diplomacy should be available for nonplayer civs. You should be able to choose whether to form an alliance.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, DarkCloud, the list was never meant as a list of 100% worthy fully developped civs. Most of them wouldn't make good large civs. However, it should be possible to find one personality for most of them, and at least two cities/sites for each, thus being ideal for "minor civs".
            The more I thin of it, the more "minor civs" seem to be a good idea. Imagine having them start with two settlers, but without the possibility to build new ones. They still could conquer foreign ones however. Thus most of them would die over time, but in some occasions they might develop into good foes.
            Those minor civs, as I said, would require little work, as there'd be no UUs and no need for time-robbing leader graphics. Firaxis definitely should focus more on gameplay than on such details. It's very lamentable however, that they were deaf on both ears and did not care about the work done by fans who corrected city lists (no stupid Heidelburg anymore...) etc. It would be no extra work for them to gather information, they'd surely have people (like me) doing that work for free...
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

My concern for minor civs, especially if they cannot grow via peaceful settlement, is that they will end up being easy pickings once you get past the Ancient Age. Granted, they will also be able to use diplo-alliances to protect themselves, but they could be picked off quickly - a one or two-turn blitz, and the civ will be absorbed...
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Themed Expansions

How about each expansion has a theme for the civs it includes, such as minor ancient civs, minor modern civs, ficticious/ mythological civs. Maybe let there be a small amount of content in each expansion that doesn't fit the theme.

Belated Response to Skywalker:

Would I play all of them? If more are available, maybe I will play more of them than otherwise. There are bound to be ones I'm not particularly interested in, the point is to have more options so I can find a few that I like.

Critiquing of Lists

Would anyone object to the critiquing of the posted lists?

Settler Restrictions and the Industrial Age

Perhaps until the industrial age, nonplayer civs cannot build settlers, but if they survive to that point, they can. But by that time, will they have any space to expand?

List Format

Would there be any good reason to separate civs in lists only by commas and not having each on its own line?

Rulers

Perhaps obscure rulers when there are none more famous to choose are acceptable to make the game a little more educational.

Comment

On a huge map, if a minor civ is either ignored for long enough or used as a pawn between major powers, it might just make it to the Industrial age and get technology/settlers at a normal rate and a no-anarchy change to monarchy.

I'd pump up a minor civ with techs if it could hurt my enemy.

Comment

I edited my list
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

More thoughts on why so many civs

To me, the designers doing the research and including official city lists is more important than gameplay issues.

Themes Expansions

Would there be any point in specifying middle east for an expansion of minor ancient civs?

America

I would change Hopewell/ Mississippi to Mound Builders. Is Aruac a more correct term for Araucanians?

Europe

I would leave out the Cordobese.

W's changes

I would change Bosnians back to Basques and Ojibwa back to Latin Americans. Who are the Sri Vijaya? If the Maori are specifically in, I don't want generic Polynesians, but maybe Hawaiians.

Number of Civs

With W's revised list, maybe having more than 100 seems not as bad.

Uniqueness

Maybe the civs don't have to all be different in the same way. They should all have at least one ruler but if a civ has 2 rulers it doesn't neccessarily need a UU or otherwise. Some civs could be more alike than others, perhaps much more.

Rulers

Should well known civs have many more available rulers? like 6 or 7?

Comment

Civ splitting

It would be good if it were possible for a far-flung outpost of your empire to "declare independence". If the player agrees to this, they get serious diplomatic kudos; if they disagree, it's a war of independence. This would be a nice variation to the "civil war" idea.

And minor civs I'd like to play - Armenia; Burgundy/Lotharingia; and the Papacy (now that would be fun!).

Comment

Would I play all of them? If more are available, maybe I will play more of them than otherwise. There are bound to be ones I'm not particularly interested in, the point is to have more options so I can find a few that I like.

How would you judge your "interest"? The citynames? If each civ is essentially the same in-game, there'd be no real reason to choose one civ over another except for aesthetics.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                            If each civ is essentially the same in-game, there'd be no real reason to choose one civ over another except for aesthetics.

What exactly, in this case, is wrong with aesthetics?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
                              To me, the designers doing the research and including official city lists is more important than gameplay issues.
                              I wouldn't dare to say that. Game designers are game designers and no historians. However, they have fan historians, even graduated historians, who'd do the work for them for free...

I would change Hopewell/ Mississippi to Mound Builders. Is Aruac a more correct term for Araucanians?
                              The problem with Adena/Hopewell/Mississippicultures is that we don't know their real names, how they called themselves. IIRC, Adena is a modern village and Hopewell was a farm on whose ground archaeologist found remains of the culture... "Mound Builders" is a name that gives no flair.
                              Naming the Anasazi "Ansazi" isn't correct either as it is actually a Navajo word meaning "alien old ones"... We just don't know how they called themselves, but an English name takes away the taste of uniqueness...
                              Aruac is another form for Arawak, the Indians who inhabited the Caribbean and parts of northern South America.

I would leave out the Cordobese.
                              The Cordobese were a tough choice anyway, but an intriguing one, if thinking closely. The medieval Spanish Caliphate of Cordoba was a very interesting mixed culture with Arab, Berber, Sahara-African, Roman, Jewish, Gothic and Iberian influences. This mix was very innovative and unique (think of architecture). The muslim regions of Iberia were definitely neither "Arab" nor "Spanish".

I would change Bosnians back to Basques
                              I guess this is more a matter of taste than of arguments. I finally shifted to the Bosnians because of the Bogomil faith which was very influential on other European Dualistic movements like the "Albigense" or "Catharans" and because of their later special role as muslim stronghold in Europe. The Basque on the other hand are probably the oldest autochthon ethnicity in Europe...

and Ojibwa back to Latin Americans.
                              I thought about the diversity within Latin America and decided no. There are no "Latin Americans" and a Latin American civilization is pure manufacture. It's like lumping the former English colonies Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Belize into a single civ! There's a very European LA like Argentina and Chile, the Andean naitons with large native populations of 70% up like Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, the largely mulato Caribbean and the special case Mexico - worlds between those nations. Frankly, I was not the biggest friend even of having the "American" civilization in, but I guess that is justified by the extreme historical singularity of "America" aka USA.

Who are the Sri Vijaya?
                              Sri Vijaya was a Malayan kingdom on Borneo and modern continental Malaysia. I simply changed them to Malayan...

If the Maori are specifically in, I don't want generic Polynesians, but maybe Hawaiians.
                              I just seperated the Maori from other Polynesians because they completely lost contact to the rest of the Polynesian world and developped a quite different warrior culture. The Hawaiians were always somehow losely part of the larger Polynesian network. But then again, this corner of the world isn't my strongest field...
                              I just think that Oceania doesn't deserve more than 2 spots (they only deserve a half spot for the football world cup )

Comment

Anybody thought about "Civgineering"?

This would work similar to Civs "traits", but could include more
                                A player could distribute a numer of points on special abilities of his civ.

Like:
                                Scientific 5
                                Industrial 6
                                Religious 6
                                Expansionist 4
                                Obdient 3 --> less riots, war weariness
                                Diplomatic 6 --> improved AI negotiations
                                Isolationist -3 --> worse trade negotiations
                                Repulsive -5 --> bad AI relations
                                Unique Unit 10 --> chose name, which unit to replace, which graphics, then distribute a bonus point on A, D or Movement
                                Slavers 2 --> all units can turn enemy units into slave workers
                                Peaceful -10 --> no barracks, high war weariness
                                etc. etc.

In the same screen you'd be able to set how your people stands towards certain governments which, in turn, could determine chances of civil war at govt. changes

What else?

Comment

Working...
                                X